Monday, March 3, 2008

Make it 51 years of independence.



I`ve never really realized how blessed we are to live in this country.

Well, yes, I do find insane many faults with how our country is run plus other stuff I`m not particularly fond of about our country.
And, yes, living in another country would prolly be better economically or better in many ways.
But then again, we are living in Malaysia right now.
And not till last Saturday night, did I realize how beautiful Malaysia really is.
And how great it is to be independent, merdeka.

What really triggered these thoughts was the magnificent sight of our majestic KLCC twin towers.
My parents`, my parents` friends and I were on our way down to dinner at Tamarind Springs, which is, by the way, an excellent restaurant with tastebud-tingling dishes and an exotic atmosphere, and we drove pass the twin towers.
We had such a spectacular view of the twin towers, and I came to realize at that point, that Malaysia has come so far. It`s so maju compared to the times where our leaders were fighting for independence back in the 1950s.
Our buildings, our economy has improved tremendously compared to last time.
We have had the previlege to appreciate Malaysia for so many years now, but people still take our independence for granted.
The twin towers is but one of the many accomplishments of Malaysia.
It also just signifies our progress from the pre-independence days till now.

It just hit me then that, wow, Malaysia. It may not be like Aussie or the US or UK, but the fact still lies that we, with the 3 main races and others too, are living as one in this country.
At times I actually think we are living in harmony, too. But recent events have led me to think otherwise.
But racial disputes and inequality aside, Malaysia has indeed progressed over the years.
I mean, look at our twin towers (again). Seriously, I never expected to feel the way I did.
I just felt so thankful at that moment, to be living in a war-free country unlike Kenya, with no earthquakes and no terrible poverty like those in Uganda or Sierraleone or Sudan.

Looking fascinatingly at the magnificently lit twin towers, with the tiny sparkling lights not unlike diamonds, I appreciated Malaysia more than ever.

I just wish, however, that inequality and injustice in our country will not rear its ugly head,
but alas, it is all too prevalent.

No comments: