Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Make it something really dishonest

I mean, seriously?


And so, my pretty long tale starts :

A Levels Graduation prom is scheduled to be on the 14th of June. My final paper in on June 12th, Friday. You guys might think that shopping for a prom dress around the 1st week of May, is waayyyy too early. But, friend, exam starts on the May 28th for me, so basically there is just no time to shop. Okay, digressing.. but it is necessary to shade some light as to why I felt so majorly disappointed later on.

Anyway, yes, I managed to get my hands on a dress that I liked and fitted my requirements. My Form 5 one was a tailored, elaborate floor-length gown. I opted for a simple short one this time round which I hoped to get off the rack instead of having to frequently visit a tailor for fittings (which is a real chore, trust me, especially when time is not on your side).

Yay yay happy happy. But it was quite big, and needed to be altered. The boutique (which I so want to name, but not sure whether that constitutes defamation [as I'm gona bantai them later] lol, so I'd rather not) offers alteration services. Cool! So, okay, tuck an inch here, shorten the ridiculously long straps, and off it was to wherever the tailor was. And off I went back home. And mind you, I was real pleased at being able to procure a suitable prom dress without the need to go from shop to shop, mall to mall. Also, I didn't need to last minute shop on the 12th. If cannot get how? Quite mampus right.

I went back a week or so later. The fitting room area was in semi-darkness, lights dimmed (prolly to create an illusion of you being slimmer or some nonsense like that), I tried on the dress. Oh, it fits, goodie. Hang on.. why is the material not smooth? Something's there.. can't see, too dark, must go out.

Went out. Slightly brighter lighting. Looked into the mirror.
What. Is. That. Horrendous. Piece. Of. Thing. Across. My. Dress???

Overview of the original dress : perfectly smooth, spaghetti-strapped, sweetheart neckline, gathers at the midriff so the bottom skirt is slightly puffed and not flat. Plain black by the way.

What I saw. Was. : The straps were lopsided, making the sweetheart neckline look utterly pathetic, and the most shocking thing : lace, one whole strip of lace, was sewn across my hip area in front in a V shape. It may not seem that bad, but trust me, it does not go well with the cutting of the dress and the gathers on top. I was speechless. Cos it looked really disastrous. Wow that rhymed. Okay, anyway..

But I thought, no worries, it's just sewn on. They can just take it off. And so we asked them to. After the momentary shocked period, my mom & I found it amusing that someone simply added things to ppl's already paid dresses according to their whims & fancies. The lady (A) said the altering lady (B) prolly got mixed up, that maybe some other customer wanted to add lace on their dress. Ok, fine by us. Just get it off mine.

Lady A called up the next day. And here comes the bombshell.
It seems, they can't remove the lace... why... because... because... it would expose something... expose what thing you ask... expose a FREAKING HOLE in the middle of the dress which happened DURING the alteration.

And you know what the most inconceivable thing is? Lady A said that she asked Lady B first why she sewed on lace.
Her answer "Oh, I accidentally cut hole. So, put the lace so customer won't find out."

Won't find out. Won't FIND OUT. Won't FIND OUT.

I was appalled. Has dishonesty suddenly become so prevalent in Msia?? I can't stand dishonesty lah c'mon. This covering up business and hiding the truth just doesn't sit well with me. It's just so. Insane. Freaking say it to my face lah. Tell me there's a hole, and maybe choose another dress or smtg. But to be so sly and cover up in hopes that I won't find out?

Hello. Dahlah cut a freaking hole in my dress thus destroying it, you have the cheek to cover it up??! After I paid in full for it already?? (They'll only alter for you if you pay full cos if you don't pay and then they alter to fit only your size, and u suddenly don't want, then how?)

That unscrupulous lady. Has she no principles??

We have just recently settled for a full refund. Which means. I'm back to square one, of, rushing last minute on June 12th to find a dress that has to fit properly (no time for alteration duh) for prom, June 14th. Hooray.

I mean, I was happy that I managed to settle this prom dress issue in such a jiffy and now... I'm not even sure if I can get one on time. All this because of the freaking Lady B who cut a big hole in the front of my dress. AND the fact that she thought to cover it up with weird lace so we wouldn't find out is just despicable and makes me even more disappointed/depressed/peeved/insert whatever negative feelings.


ps : And it's a renowned boutique in Damansara Uptown okay! Not some chiplak store or any of those random shops in Bangsar.

3 comments:

yingxian said...

hello rachieess!

no worriesss!! we'll all go with you on the 12th! :D it'll be fun!! :D:D

*pats back* :/

rchlchng said...

Hee heeee I've actually managed to get mine already lol!
Will explain when I see you lah :)
But thanks so so much love! :D:D
How bout yours? I can teman you too if you want! :):))

Anonymous said...

Lol. Rach, I know it must have stressed you out and all but the way you wrote about it! Funny lah!